Thursday, January 30, 2014

Throwback Thursdays - The Marshall Mathers LP


I know it's like #thongthursday but conceal your perverted thirst momentarily while I take you back to the year 2000.

"I remember being in the 5th grade. Geeky narcissistic kid but really benign. Never used profanity before purposely. As a matter of fact, I despised cursed words. I think it all started on my birthday and my brother and I share the same b-day (1 year apart) so my mother like to buy us one gift that would benefit the both of us because she was always broke. I swear to Jesus, she brought us Will Smith's newest cd Willenium, and Eminem's cd The Marshall Mather's LP simultaneously. The polar opposite of each other so I'm at crossroad between good and evil. She had absolutely no clue how detrimental Eminem's lyrics could be. That Will album got trashed and luckily all that I inherited from the Em album was a foul mouth. I didn't want to kill the 5th grade bully even though the thoughts were tempting. (im joking)"

What I did inherit, was the best hip-hip album ever created. It's my opinion but try not disagreeing with the majority of white america, they agree with me. I know Illmatic is supposedly the hip-hop bible but I never heard it, sue me. That's neither here of there, but lets speak about some details.

This was Eminem's sophomore album and with the strength of his first album "The Slim Shady LP" people were optimistic. So who really listened to this album and was disappointed? I would like to meet that person in person. This album was a straight play-through and is critically acclaimed to be his best album. If you have a sense a humor and can tolerate his misogynistic, sexist, prejudice, derogatory lyrics, you will love this.

Do I even need to tell you how evil Eminem is? He is the Tiger Woods of rap, I'll save you the biography. There's a song on here that he descriptively tells you how he kills his wife. Kim is the song title and never before have I heard such originality. I was frightened to hear so much yelling but some part of me really loved it. It seemed poignant and from the outside looking in, you could tell he really loved/hated her tremendously. Criminal is the last song on the 18 track album and it's like to perfect ending to a movie. We took a step into a crazed maniac's mind who seems like a serial killer but it's not meant to be taken seriously. He even says "shit half the shit I say I just make it up to make you mad, so kiss my white naked ass"

I think my favorite track is Marshall Mathers because he stops the acts for half a second and give the listeners some insight on what it cost to be famous. The beef, the rumors, the lawsuits, the women, the fans, it.gets.real. There's also tracks like Drug Ballad, Remember Me, Kill You, Under The Influence, etc and I haven't even mentioned the radio joints like Stan, The Real Slim Shady, The Way I Am but who am I kidding, I love them all.

This album was one of the few rap albums that went diamond and it would be an insult to not call this a classic. THANK YOU EMINEM GOD!






1 comments:

  1. Make your "Throwback Thursdays" A regular thing. I really liked this post. :)

    ReplyDelete