Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Soundtrack To My Life

Ever hear a song that made you feel like there was somebody out there other than you? In no specific order (in order, not in order) I put together some random number of songs that best describe me in a nutshell. This is the soundtrack of my life.

Simple Plan - Welcome To My Life 


Some years back, I had this weird thing for rock bands and MTV. In the mist of that, I came across this song called Welcome To My Life by Simple Plan. I literally jumped back and turned the tv off because I was shocked that every lyric in this song was about me. I had to be like 13 or 14, misunderstood just like your average teenager -- didn't realize a lot of us do scream in our rooms with the radio up. 

Joe Budden - Stained


Unlike a lot of Budden fans, I was there for the Pump It Up era with the spray painted white tee and bandanna. I'm not a real solider though, I did bail once Jay-Z put a brake on his career. I don't know what year it was but I remember being on mixfiend.com (when we had to download torrents instead of zip files) and saw this mixtape. I was aware of the first one but mixtapes weren't easily obtainable then. The reason why I'm over explaining this is because Mood Muzik 2 was a milestone in my life. It wouldn't be fair if I put like 10 Budden songs on this list but the dude is real, believe me. One song that did stand out was Stained and around this age, I was hip hop to the fullest. Bummy, dirty, low class, pretentious whatever, Budden know all about that shit in this song.   

Robin Thicke - Cry No More


Here's another artist who I can add multiple songs on the list and it would be completely unfair, the talented Robin Thicke. I told myself I wasn't going to post this one but I don't care. I'm already lightskin, people should know I cry often (not anymore though). There was a time period where I was going through adversity with my family, money, life, girls, school, everything and nothing was going right. This song and others helped me get through a lot. It would seem like me and Robin are identical besides all of the musical talent, the gorgeous wife, the caucasian background, and the relation to Alan Thicke. Cry No More was the ending to all my sorrows. The best help always comes from somebody who knows how you feel.

Jay-Z & Beanie Sigel - Where Have You Been


I remember in the 5th grade me and my classmate found a Juvenile cassette tape and a Jay-Z one. At the time, the Hot Boyz were way hotter than Jay-Z to me and I guess him too because we fought over the Juvenile joint. Of course I ended up losing but the same time I won because I was introduced to hip hop the first time. Just owning a piece of this classic album was special to me. I remember listening to side B track 15 all the time. Where Have You Been discusses the agony of being fatherless in such a poor environment which is relative. Beans verse is so passionate and I could never fully understand that until I got older of how much a different my life would of been if my father was around. No matter what though, music was already there for me.

Eminem - 8 Mile Road


Funny story, I remember when my mother bought me and my brother Eminem's album "The Marshall Mathers LP" and Will Smith's "Willenium" in the year 2000. The complete polar opposite and she had absolutely no idea how vulgar and crazy Eminem was. He made a 6 minute song on that album about killing his wife and us 10-11 year olds knew every fucking word to that song. Now that Eminem is introduced, I indulged and is now a Stan. When 8 Mile the movie came out, he dropped an awesome Oscar winning soundtrack to go along with it. The song "8 Mile Road" was essentially everything that was in my head at the time. I wanted to be rapper, turn my back on Detroit and never come back. This will forever be my favorite rap song period, no debate. 


These are all of the songs I could think of right now. If I think of some more shit, I do plan on part 2'ing it and wasting your valued time. Til then...

0 comments:

Post a Comment