Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What's The Best Kanye West Album?


Since I'm in a hip-hop mood at the moment, I would like to talk my shit again. Can I talk my shit again? The world knows I will forever be a die hard fan of Kanye West. I followed his every rap move since his feature on Blueprint 2. If you read some of my posts, you would know I like to put an end to on-going debates. How do you choose which Kanye album is the best? You ask me that's how! I squandered some mula even when I couldn't afford to and bought every album so I think my opinion matters, and you don't have the answers Sway. From the worst to the best, lets begin people.

Yeezus 2013














What's worse than a really bad album? A really bad album with a really bad CD cover. Every credible critic website placed this album on a pedestal among the musical gods we worshiped in 2013 even when the majority of listeners fucking hated this project. #3 of my list of reasons why I can never be a critic. How can anybody like this piece of garbage when the first track on this album is 'ON SIGHT!'. Kanye probably spent 9800 hours on this song and I'm confused on why he thought this god awful track was worthy of an intro, better yet, placement on the album at all. The list of shitty songs go on, but Kanye did had a few tracks I liked. Nevertheless, the only tracks that are worth mentioning is 'New Slaves, Blood On The Leaves, and Bound 2'. Next slide!

808s & Heartbreak 2008





 I don't get involved into celebrity's personal lives (LIE!) and I don't think we needed to hear a whole album about his breakup with 'such and such'. Before you start throwing rocks, let me just say I liked this album, but there were songs on here that I still haven't listened to more than 30 seconds of. Years ago, I watched of music video of one of these songs and Kanye cut something out of his body. Count me the fuck in for weird shit all day nigga but sometimes you have to go "WHAT THE FUCK"! Somebody was ego trippin' a little too much and therefore, you get a decent to garbage juice album.

Graduation 2007



Graduation might have been Kanye's greatest accomplishment but not his best album, sorry. I almost feel like this album was too soft even for him. All off the Japanese illustrations were pretty lame and it's just Kanye's self absorbed ass not caring what I think. We all pretended that Big Brother song was the SHITTT! and it really wasn't.

On the upside, Kanye put his backpack on and created a bunch of critically acclaimed records. 50 Cent and Kanye began a competition once record sales started tanking to see who could sell the most albums first week (which he ended up winning and leaving 50's career in shambles). Kanye sold more and unfortunately, 50 did not retire. Can't Tell Me Nothing was really foot in ass solidifying his mark in the game. This album is debatable with 808's, but if I was stranded on a island and I had to choose between the two to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be this one.

Watch The Throne 2011























What's better than two of the richest rappers relishing in extravagance? Three other Kanye albums. Watch The Throne was a hodgepodge of Kanye pitching beats to Jay to find which one is sounds suited for. Jay-Z doesn't sound like he wanted to be one half of these tracks. Every track that Jay liked, he made Kanye chill. It's almost like they live in two different worlds and the only way that they have chemistry is talking about money. All criticism aside, more than half of this album is great. A bad Jay-Z/Kanye song is still better than anything they play on the radio nowadays.    

Late Registration 2005



I swear to god I just figured out that the song 'Late' was purposely placed at the end of the album for conceptual reasons. It's really the intro, but he's late...you get it. That along makes the album dope.

Back when Kanye was still using the bear mascot, and shit, he dropped one of the best albums of my natural life. Not until Gold Digger dropped I was finally convinced that I wanted this album. One of my favorite videos and features of Jamie Foxx singing Ray Charles vocals was amazing. Hearing that Kanye doesn't even like the song bothers me but what are you going do? I skipped school to go buy this album and I remember listening to it and Roses, Bring Me Down, Addiction, We Major, and the song with Cam'ron & Consequence Gone, immediately became my favorite songs. Next slide please.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy 2010



Going into this apprehensive because all of the Illumanti talk, I was pessimistic. The album was surprisingly good. Like superb, outstanding, spellbinding. Kanye showed off his artsy side this time around and once again, I'm so appalled. Only Kanye knows why he makes videos about weird peculiar things, the don't ask don't tell rule applies. I bought the deluxe edition with the Runaway movie and dude, no comment. We already knew Kanye was a bad actor thanks to his 2 minute part in Entourage, now he's a bad director as well.

Like I said, the album is great though. Straight play through, no skips. It's unlikely for an artist of his caliber with high expectations to make a classic on his 5th studio album. With songs like All Of The Lights, The Blame Game, Gorgeous, Runaway it shows he still has that backpack on his back and music notes still run in his veins. I sometimes go back and forth on whether this is his best album or not.

College Dropout 2003



I will not scrutinize this masterpiece what so ever. Do not bring up The Workout Plan or School Spirit because I will defend them with honor. Okay, the Workout Plan video was a little absurd and School Spirit sucked but dammit lets count our blessings here. Hip-hop was taken over by the south and you couldn't get a song on the radio unless you were Jay-Z, Eminem or made a song degrading women with fat asses. Kanye West arrived in Louis Vuitton backpack and a mascot. What rapper you know has a mascot? He had Jesus Walks playing on the radio and coming from an atheist, I fucking loved that song! I knew every word to All Falls Down and Through The Wire was one of those feel good empathy songs that I will always love. Slow Jamz, Spaceship, Breathe In Out Breathe Out, Get Em' High, Never Let Me Down, OMG! I feel like a white groupie girl just talking about it. To contest this with any of his albums is idiotic. I remember opening up his cd in my grandmother's basement and listening to We Don't Care for the first time, that's hip-hop. Reciting every word (even the monologue) to Last Call, that's hip hop. A lot of things I will always forget but never the time when I felt it was ok to be different. And for that I thank you Kanye West for your best and my favorite album, College Dropout.



0 comments:

Post a Comment