Friday, March 2, 2012

Awake, Pilot Episode (Review & Link)


AWAKE I don't watch a lot of television shows nowadays but I heard raving reviews about Awake that I haven't heard in years. Truthfully I don't watch pilots because I would rather not waste my time watching shows that will end up getting canceled right in the mid-season but this might be a keeper.

This show stars Jason Issacs who I wasn't too familiar with all so I checked the movie database. He played supporting roles in over 70 films & tv series. I don't know how, he has the face & potential of a leading man. The show also stars BD Wong (Law & Order SVU) Steve Harris (The Practice) Cherry Jones (24) and "Fez" Wilmer Valderrama (That 70's Show). 

This psychological crime drama isn't just about solving crimes in 42 minutes, but about a detective named Michael Britten (Jason Issacs) who son and wife apparently died in a car crash. After the crash, he has a hard time believing what's reality when his dreams become a parallel universe. In one of these worlds, his wife is alive and his son is dead and vise versa. He's seeing a therapist in both worlds and they are both convincing on what's real and what's a delusion. This even helps him solves crimes because the perpetrator they seem to be chasing is the same guy, different crime. His coworkers are debating whether he's losing his mind or he's actually having premonitions. 

MY REVIEW (7.8/10) ********   I don't know if they can carry out this same synopsis for more than 2 seasons but the pilot was good enough to see a season finale. I don't watch crime shows anymore (blame Detroit 1-8-7) and there are too many of them still on air. If they can keep the alternate story entertaining, then NBC is looking at a hit. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment